Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Reasons to Persevere

This morning, as I contemplated my dismal thoughts yesterday, I started making a list in my head of all the reasons why it's important to keep going. It's hard, yes, but completely worth the effort. And if I'm having to work more because I packed on 15 pounds last year? All the more reason not to give up and make it 30. I tried to write this so I can read it back like someone's TELLING me why it's worth it.

So, the list:

-Playing with your daughter for more than 5 minutes without getting winded. (Family soccer is in your future!)
-Hiking. Remember that second date with Bobby, hiking in Red Rock and breaking your tailbone, chickie? That girl would cry her eyes out if she thought that was the last time she'd beat Bobby up a trail. She laughed at the top.
-All those beautiful places in Mexico you have to hike miles to reach. The basalt cliffs? The clam-spiral creature rocks? The observatory where you can see two coastlines? Yeah.
-Skiing, kayaking, sailing, windsurfing. It wasn't always exercise; you used to call it fun.
-It's more fun to tell someone you're a gamer if they don't eye your flab and think, "You look like one..."
-You enjoy food more when you slow down enough to taste it. And something rich and buttery is special and delicious when it's not breakfast every morning.
-Cute clothes that don't need to be extremely cleverly cut to disguise and hide your shape.
-Is it really easier to stay the way you are with all the things it will take from you?


Fitness Goals:
-An unassisted pull-up.
-Full yoga class without modifications.
-Hold plank & downward dog for 2 minutes each.

Weightloss Milestones:
164 - merely overweight, never again obese
154 - halfway to goal
137 - healthy, not overweight
125 - goal!

I'm trying to think of some rewards. For my halfway mark, I'm going to buy myself a heartrate monitor. While it would be helpful now, I'm losing weight pretty steadily. I figure by then, it will be slower going, and I'll need a little help. I don't know about the other three. Well - 125 lbs, I'll need new clothes obviously. But I think I'm going to try to talk Bobby into taking a trip to the mountains. Depending on the month it happens, maybe even skiing! (Big maybe. Bobby shattered his wrist on a snowmobile and is afraid of skiing now.) Plenty of time to decide. I think leaving obesity deserves something and it's the first milestone, but I don't have any ideas. Something to ponder, I guess.

No comments: