Monday, February 20, 2012

Pushing On Through

After a lot of thought and a couple of days using both tracking programs, I've decided two things:

1) Sticking with it is the most important thing. Do I think I'll acheive better results in a shorter time frame if I strictly monitor fat, carbs, and protein? Yes. But the likelihood I will keep at it when I'm frustrated about inaccurate estimates and trying to count calories burned is much lower. There's a lot to be said for simplicity. And there's nothing to stop me from pushing to include more natural calorie sources in my diet with weight watchers, and there are note fields in the tracking for me to type in any info I want to track but don't have a check box for.

2) I'm "firing" the nutritionist. Because I started my treadmill class during a holiday period, I took several weeks of the class before my class officially started. We just caught up with where I started, so I won't miss much if I step out. Also, the course instructor is pre-med and has taken more physiology, nutrition, and anatomy than the nutritionist and can answer any questions I have. I asked him about the canola oil and was satisfied by his response. So for the 20-30 minutes each week we meet with her, I'm going to get a headstart on the treadmill.

In other news, lasagna, cookie cake, movie theatre popcorn, and french fries resulted in maintaining weight this week. (And helped me determine that a strict calorie source counting diet isn't for me.) Obviously my hard work at the gym did something for me. I caught a cold as well, but it actually seems to be pretty mild today. Hopefully last night was the worst of it.

NSV! On Saturday, I maintained a 2.1mph pace for one full cycle of sideways walking. Then I walked backwards for 3 minutes on an incline faster than my mother was walking forwards. My mother wasn't thrilled when I pointed out my accomplishment, but I was quite pleased. I also jogged at 4.2mph for 3 minutes while having a conversation. I might just manage not to be last in my race in April.

Thanks much to everyone who responded to my last post. You validated the things I was thinking, and reinforced why it is so important to keep at it. You're the best.

No comments: