Thursday, March 19, 2009

Thoughts on Marriage

I love being married. Or, I love being married to B0bby. I don't think the married part is all that necessary, it'd be the same if we just lived together. That said, my views on marriage in general tend to be very cynical. I think people get married too quickly and for the wrong reasons. I think people should be more careful about having children. Both Bobby and I come from divorced parents. Both of our fathers are remarried and seem happy. Our mothers are chronic marriers. My mom is on marriage number 4, and it seems like it is going just as strong as ever. Bobby's mom is on number 5 or 6..? I think? That one, we'll see, it's still new. With that history, however, we're hyper aware of our relationship health. I know I think about it when we argue. I think, "How important is this? Worth taking a step down a bad path? Is there a better way to resolve it?" I don't know if Bobby's the same way, but I know he's concerned about the quantity of sex decreasing after the baby's arrival. (In all truth, so am I.) I do believe that the quality of a couple's sex life is an indicator of the health of their marriage. So, we make an effort.

Wow, wild tangent I didn't intend at all. Anyway, my little sister is getting married in September. I am decidedly opposed. She'll be fresh out of high school. She's not quite 18. She still lives at home (with her boyfriend, yes, but AT HOME). I've been trying to decide how big a hypocrite I am for feeling like this, but I still wish I were close enough to her to be comfortable talking her out of it. I hope they decide to wait. She asked me to be maid of honor, but I don't think I'll be able to travel so close to my due date. (To say nothing of finances.) But... ugh.

I've completely lost my appetite and 10 lbs. I miss the first, not so much the second (not that I see a difference.) Ugh. I'm really looking forward to the morning sickness part being over. I am a little afraid I'll end up being one of the ones to stay sick the whole time. I think my mom did.

No comments: