Sunday, December 13, 2009

Day 13 - A Fictional Book

I skipped the days I thought sucked.

Everyone knows I loooove my fiction, but I don't think I could ever commit to just one. Instead, I dedicate this post to fiction in general. Take the song, "Up Where we Belong" and replace the word "love" with "fiction." That's how I feel about it. I'm disappointed that genre fiction is not a respectable as just plain old fiction, and frequently perplexed by what warrants the distinction. Plenty of books I've found in the fiction section at Barnes & Noble were less than books found elsewhere. And books in the sci-fi, fantasy, occasionally romance, young adult, etc. genres were just as good as the best in plain ole fiction. But I still hear things from people who know I love to read and that I'm smart that they didn't think I read "things like that." (Most recently, it was referring to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams.) I never quite get why I wouldn't read things like that. What's that?

Whoops! Didn't mean to get up on my soapbox there. When it comes to fiction, I'm not terribly discriminating. The bulk of my collection is fantasy, yes, but I also enjoy mysteries, science fiction, kid's stuff, thillers, even graphic novels on occasion. I have my guilty pleasures in the romance and supernatural/paranormal novels. I toss in a periodic classic or book club pick. This does have it's drawbacks: with so much to choose from, I have a very long list of things I want to read, and never enough time (or money!) for everything. I wish I could give up sleep.

No comments: