Friday, February 20, 2009

Love & Sarcasm

Months ago, I read an article (most likely in some upstanding publication like Cosmo) that told me sarcasm was horrible, terrible, no good, very bad, and indicative of "deeper issues" within a relationship. I laughingly related this information to my husband and he paused, looked thoughtful, then nodded. Now, he periodically reminds me of the article anytime I'm being sarcastic with him. Usually with a straight face even.

I most incessantly tease and mock the people I most love. Sometimes I cross lines, and I feel terribly guilty afterwards, but mostly those people understand I'm not serious. They also give as good as they get (or better). Unfortunately, I also tend to babble when I'm nervous, so the likelihood of something awful tumbling forth in front of people who decidedly do not understand.

The point I'm awkwardly circling here is that I do understand sarcasm is not a good way to communicate effectively with others. I just don't care. (Hah.) I grew up watching Monty Python and Black Adder with a parent who was rarely serious if she didn't need to be (and sometimes not even when it might have been helpful). In my family, sarcasm is an expression of affection. Now, I'm incubating the next generation, and I'm thinking a lot about what I do and say and what will have to change. I think no matter what else becoming a mom does to me and my life, it will still be full of love and sarcasm.

No comments: